The former St. Lawrence State Hospital "for the insane is one of the best and finest in the country," wrote Rt. Rev. P.S. Garand in his 1927 History of Ogdensburg.
Wrote Garand: "It is located on Point Airy, formerly Indian Point by the 'voyageurs' in 1673. It occupies a tract of 950 acres. It was started in 1887. The buildings are constructed on what is popularly known
as the 'cottage' plan, each not to exceed two stories in height. There are now (in 1926) three completed groups and several detached cottages, with the necessary outbuildings. The outer walls of the buildings are
mostly of native blue limestone, laid on broken ashlar, rock faced, backed up with stone and faced on the inside with brick banded in with stone, with a dead air space between the outer and inner walls. The
buildings are mostly trimmed with Potsdam red sandstone. The roofs are covered with the best quality of black slate. Roads and walks have been laid out through the native groves.